Active Steward Limited is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Penman Consulting  and develops specialist software for clients and to support its consulting business. The software aids product stewardship within the chemical and allied industries and also supports large consortia of companies’ regulatory needs on a global basis.
Penman Consulting supports the chemical and petrochemical industries on product regulatory, health and environmental issues. Founded in 1997 Penman Consulting has rapidly gained wide recognition for its ability to deliver on regulatory and associated scientific issues. We provide advice and assistance to companies both large and small and also to trade organisations on a global basis.
With our origins in the petrochemical industry, we manage some of the largest regulatory projects in the EU such as Lower Olefins and Aromatics REACH Consortium (LOA). We have been involved in other large consortia and numerous activities for companies large and small. Our clients recognise the leadership and expertise that we bring to such a project and we are well-recognised within the industry.
Penman Consulting provides Product Stewardship services for clients, and our offering is supported by the unique approach and IT system Active Steward™ which allows us to provide services in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
Penman Consulting is staffed by professionals with considerable experience within the chemical industry – managing regulatory affairs, toxicology, environmental science on both a product and site basis, senior developers, systems professionals. This allows us to provide a business perspective to our service, which is of value to our clients. Where necessary we partner with other organisations to provide a holistic service, from legal and financial support to specialised science areas.
Penman Consulting has offices in Brussels, Belgium and in South Oxfordshire, UK with teams widely dispersed both in Europe and elsewhere.
With the continued expansion of the business, Active Steward has the position of Software Developer available. The major focus of the work will be on the continued development of the database system with new functionality and continued improvement. The challenge of the role is that it is necessary to implement solutions for complex regulatory and environmental health issues. Consequently, there is a great deal of interchange with the scientific staff in the company.
The successful candidate will have good experience of Java and have an interest in further developing their career within software development. They will work within a multidisciplinary team with environmental scientists, toxicologists, and IT specialists.
The role will be flexible and will adapt to the skills of the job holder allowing significant scope for further development arising from the growth of the business. The company support staff on training courses and personal development.
- Penman Consulting provides services to the chemicals industries.
- As a Java Developer, you will be working on our company’s flagship system designed to provide insight and tracking of many aspects of Product Stewardship within the Chemical industry.
- You will be working across the full software development lifecycle: from gathering requirements, through development, testing, and documentation, to maintenance and training.
- You will be working on our full technology stack which includes: Java (Spring, Hibernate), SQL, HTML/CSS/JS, ReactJS.
- You will be working in a small, dedicated, and very enthusiastic team. This will provide you with a lot of exposure to the software, the people using it, and you will be able to very quickly see the effects of your work in the production environment.
- We work in an Agile-like fashion. We do sprints, are light on meetings, but we adjust as necessary to fit the business needs and requirements.
- You will receive a lot of support from the existing members of the team. You will also be facilitated to learn and develop personally by attending training sessions and conferences, and keep on top of the technologies we use, as well as bring new knowledge in.
- Large system(s), passionate people, a lot of responsibility, many opportunities to develop.
- Defines application objectives by analysing user requirements; envisioning system features and functionality.
- Designs and develops user interfaces to internet/intranet applications.
- Recommends system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and purchase alternatives.
- Supports users by developing documentation and assistance tools.
- Updates job knowledge by researching new internet/intranet technologies and software products.
- Teamwork, including with end users
- Java (Spring and Hibernate)
- Web Technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Version Control System
- Hibernate Search or Lucene
- Spring Boot
Benefits after qualifying period:
- Company-contribution pension
- Private healthcare
- Study/development allowance (budget and days)
Place of work – Our offices are in Oxfordshire, UK and Brussels. Remote working is possible with occasional visit to the offices.
Compensation – the salary and compensation package for the position will reflect the responsibilities within the company and be competitively based to attract the right candidate.